Welcome

Please feel free to comment, correct me if I am wrong, or provide helpful tips of any kind


Nature in it's glory

Nature in it's glory

Nov 9, 2011

Defying Gravity

Going Down


One of the reasons I will never tire of watching birds is the many things that birds are capable of doing.  The White-breasted Nuthatch is one of my favorite small birds to watch, if I get lucky enough to have one occupied with foraging at a single tree for any length of time, that is.
 
White-breasted Nuthatch just hanging on
As a species they seem to enjoy walking down the tree head first.  Sometimes they walk down in a quick spiral, stopping now and again to swallow a bug.  This one, however entertained me by showing off his strong legs and feet, and defying gravity altogether as he did so.  He walked along the underside of the branch, taking his time and foraging as he went.  Then he just dropped off.

Viewing the world upside down
Looking for bugs

His little wings spread and he was gone in a blink.

Enjoy,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment