Welcome

Please feel free to comment, correct me if I am wrong, or provide helpful tips of any kind


Nature in it's glory

Nature in it's glory

May 5, 2011

Three Butterflies wake from hybernation

Mourning Cloak
By the time spring arrives I am usually so desperate in my longing for a glimpse of color and signs of life outdoors, that I tend to notice more of everything than at any other time of year.  Take butterflies for instance, I never would have noticed them, if I wasn't actively looking for any sign of life other than the ordinary.

Last year I did some research and learned that the Mourning Cloak actually hibernates through winter.  Although I mistakenly assumed that it was the only butterfly to do so, it appears that at least two other species do the same.  The Green Comma and the Admiral, which I spotted just this week.

Green Comma
Admiral Butterfly
I find this fact to be absolutely fascinating and, since I am always eager to learn, plan to do some more research to find out just how many species of butterfly hibernate each year.  I also always assumed that all butterflies mate in the fall, only to die a few days later.  Obviously I am in error, and perhaps a butterfly's life cycle is much longer than I thought.  The species of butterflies that I present here, for example, mate in the spring.

I will let you know what I discover in another post.  In the meantime, if you have any knowledge on the subject feel free to comment below.

Enjoy,

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment