Welcome

Please feel free to comment, correct me if I am wrong, or provide helpful tips of any kind


Nature in it's glory

Nature in it's glory

Nov 19, 2009

Aerial Dance: A challenge

It was one of those sheer, wondrous moments in life that  you just know one is not likely to experience again.


Naturally because I love bird watching I am always looking up at the sky.  Once, when I was working near a local golf course, I was outside on my break when I looked up and saw a dozen or so huge birds gliding on the thermals. To me the observer it looked just like an aquatic dance that was taking place in the air above me.  I was immediately, captivated, fascinated and delighted, and of course  very reluctant to go back in to work.

Blue Heron

I watched them through my binoculars throughout my break, hoping to identify the birds, but they were too high up for me to identify by sight alone. When I went back in to work and shared the experience with my co-workers, I was jokingly asked what I'd been smoking, which only intensified my need to know.  This was a mystery for me that just had to be solved. What species of bird could fly with such harmony, artistry, precision and beauty?

Naturally when I got home after work, I did some research and learned that some of the larger bird species, like storks and cranes, ride the thermals during migration because long distance flight through the expedient of flapping their wings was difficult for them to sustain.  I did not find a lot of information however, and never did find out what species of bird I saw dancing in the sky.  If you have any knowledge of this I encourage you to please share it with me, as I am burning to know.

Susan

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment